Monday 7 November 2011

Some Peroxide experiments

Today I was horrendously bored studying so I did a few experiments on the food grade peroxide.

1. Density: I measured the density with my new hydrometer (set of), and found it to be 1.19, which puts the concentration at about 40-45 percent. I didn't correct for temperature, and it was quite hot in the workshop so it may be higher.

2. Filtering with carbon: I tested pellets of activated carbon from a pet store, used to purify aquarium water. Short story they catalyze the peroxide. I noticed that they didn't start catalyzing imediatelly but only after a few seconds (probably when the peroxide soaked into the carbon). I found out that some activated carbon filters contain a small amount of silver to kill bacteria. That could explain its activity. I have ordered some activated carbon I know doesn't have any silver in it.

3. Filtering with ion-exchange resin: I first tested a very small amount of resin with 25 degree c peroxide to see what would hapen. After a while I couldn't see any bubbles/fire. I put a small amount of resin in a funnel with a strainer at the bottom, and ran through about 100mL of peroxide chilled to about 5 degrees twice. The TDS meter read 0.3g/L before filtering, 0.1 g/l after the first pass and 0.03 after the second pass.  The peroxide was only in contact with the resin for a few seconds each pass so the resin worked extremely effectively at removing dissolved solids. I am not sure what ions the resin have in them, but my guess would be H+ and OH-.

I was going to do a small test sparge with an aquarium air pump I bought. Thinking I might need a bigger pump in the future I ordered a 250L/Min pump. I made a simple sparging rig which was just a bucket with some silicone pipe (with holes in it) to distribute the air. The pump was wawwww overkill for only a few letires of liquid and I couldn't get the setup to not splash water everywhere so I decided that it was probably not a good idea try it with peroxide. I am going to plumb in a ball valve so I can change the flow rate of air.

No comments:

Post a Comment